Thursday, September 16, 2010

In case there was any doubt...

In case we weren't sure that Jacob watches sporting events way too closely, we now have proof. The other day when Jacob and I got home, I gave in and let him play outside a bit. Usually when we get home I try to put off the outdoor play a bit, at least until Craig can get home and take him out himself. Usually when Jacob and I get home, I can't wait to lug our stuff inside, change my shoes or clothes, and start figuring out dinner. After all, it's usually after 6pm by then and Jacob's bedtime comes all too quickly after the time it takes to make dinner and eat it. But on Tuesday I knew Craig wouldn't be home for a bit and dinner didn't need to be rushed. The weather was pleasant and I figured that we wouldn't have too many more days like that. At one point he had his little hockey stick (a real stick that Craig cut off for him) and he gave me one, too. He sat down on the step in our garage and told me to sit down too. In the midst of all of this he was putting on a real hockey helmet with a full cage, which he usually asks Craig or me to put on (we both hate it, but once in a while we give in). Anyway, once I sat down next to him, he told me we had to hold our sticks up, meaning that we had to hold them with the blade end up. And then I realized that we were sitting on the "bench" like hockey players do, with their blade ends up. And per Jacob, that made us "hockey guys". It was the cutest thing ever, and had I been about 10 seconds quicker, I would have had a picture to prove it. Later that night I asked Craig if he taught Jacob how to do that, and he said no...that Jacob had asked him to do it too, all on his own. So, while we had long suspected that his quick grasp of various sports-related activites had something to do with his silent, intense stare at game after game, I think this pretty much solidifies it.

Jacob has also ramped up his sports activities in our living room recently. I NEED to get a picture and/or video of this one of these days, because it's crazy to see, but Jacob has sporting events set up in our living room. Much of this is Craig's doing, at least initially, but Jacob has certainly kept it up. I'm not sure what started it first, but I do know that when we moved, Jacob got to see Craig's old table hockey game (you know, the kind with the guys on the end of rods that you move in and out to move them on the surface--old school bubble hockey, if you will). And Craig also pulled out some old table hockey guys (separate from the game) for Jacob to play with. Craig let Jacob play with the little puck and old table hockey nets, and showed him how to have the guys shoot the puck. Jacob wasn't being very gentle with table hockey, so we moved that back into the crawl space. But Craig kept the hockey guys out, and for a while they were playing on this big board I had brought up for Jacob to draw on (it's a wooden dresser top, but it was cracked when we got it so we got a replacement. I kept the cracked one, just in case, and sure enough, it came in handy. It now sits on top of our drooping ottoman and provides a perfect drawing/drinking glass-friendly surface). Then Craig had the idea to bring up an air hockey table he got a few years ago. It wasn't getting much air hockey activity, so this was a good use. And ever since, Jacob has had hockey guys set up all over it. There are two nets, two pucks, and a motley crew of players -- table hockey guys, Lil' Brat hockey keychains, a hockey playing M&M guy from a gift tube I got years ago, and most recently, a Club Penguin hockey guy that Jacob got for pooping on the potty when we were in Pittsburgh. He will make his little guys skate around (sometimes complete with sound effects) and have them score. It's pretty cute. Then over the summer Craig brought up his Peanuts gang baseball figures, a set of plastic collectible toys where the Peanuts gang (Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus, Schroeder, etc.) are playing baseball, complete with gloves, hats, and a chest protector and mask for Schroeder the catcher. There's also a backstop and bases. He did put some of them back away (Peppermint Patty and Marcie came with it, too, and I think Lucy and Snoopy are both back in the box), but the backstop, talking scoreboard, the bases and players are all out for baseball games...along with an old Starting Lineup figure, plastic baseball player cake decorations (more potty prizes), and a couple other random players. The other night Craig added to it by showing Jacob his Lego collection and building him a little football field. And yes, Jacob does think the little Lego guys with their space helmets are football guys. Heehee :) So, we have one serious bunch of sporting events going on our living room floor. Right now everything is conveniently sitting in front of the fireplace, which limits Jacob's access to the actual fireplace. I'm not sure how it's going to go once we actually need that area relatively clear so we can use our fireplace (assuming I get up the nerve...gas or not, they make me nervous). Of course, we're planning on getting Jacob a more kid-friendly ice surface for Christmas (an adorable air hockey table using the same sort of Club Penguin hockey guys as the one he has...it's so cute and I'm just waiting for another free shipping offer from Disneystore.com to get it) and that should take up less room. Let's hope.

Yes, my son is sports-obsessed. But it beats the Wiggles any day...

No comments: