Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Busy Evening

At the last minute Craig and I got tickets to the Fleetwood Mac concert here in Rochester last night. It was awesome, by the way. They may be 60ish, but they can still rock. Anyway, that meant that we had to leave Jacob home for the night. That was a bit scary since the last time we did that he was miserable the whole time. Regardless, godmother Lori was up to the challenge...and at the last minute, no less. This time it went better, though he was still miserable at first. Guess our little boy is pretty attached to his parents right now. Thankfully he is comfortable with the folks at day care as well, so he's not freaking out when we leave him there. Whew. I don't think I could do that every morning. Anyway, it always makes me nervous to leave him, no matter how capable his caretaker. As a parent you'd never forgive yourself if something happened while you were gone. We don't leave him too often, but even when we do I miss him a lot. I feel guilty for not spending that time with him, since evenings and weekends are all we have. The freedom is nice once in a while, but it's definitely different than our pre-kid life. I was probably extra paranoid last night since it was all very last minute and I was running around right up to the moment I left the house trying to make sure I had all my bases covered--bottles, medicine, etc.

On the way home from work/day care we went to Wegmans to pick up some juice for Jacob. The doctor suggested pear as an alternative to prune (side note: where was that advice when I was a kid? I somehow still have memories of being force-fed prunes at some point in my early childhood). Everything you read these days suggests that you don't serve babies juice in a bottle. Why a sippy cup is any better I'm not entirely sure, though I think it has something to do with how the juice is sucked out of it and how it impacts the teeth. But regardless...I'm almost out of bottle liners for the small bottles and don't really want to have to buy more, so I wanted to try the sippy cup with the juice. I had read that it sometimes helps to dip the spout in the juice so the baby gets the idea that there's something there worth going after. I tried it with Jacob and he actually seemed to get it! He did a little bit of sucking, though I'm not actually sure how much made it down his throat. A lot seemed to end up dribbling down his chin and onto his bib. Still, it's progress. I sent another with him to day care this morning so he can get a little more practice (and hopefully a little more pear juice).

On a related note, Jacob's digestive system seems to be loosening up a bit. He pooped before leaving day care yesterday, then did it again this morning. This morning was the same deal as yesterday morning. He was fussy while eating and we went in for a diaper change. I found some poop, and then he pooped out more into the open diaper. Let's hope that's not a trend he takes beyond this constipation episode!! The last couple turds appeared to be a little softer and not quite as dark as their predecessors, so I'm hoping that he's on the back end (no pun intended) of this episode. I still have no idea what triggered it. No new foods for either of us, no new meds...so who knows. On the bright side, firm poop means no blowouts! But surprisingly, it's not worth it...Jacob's too uncomfortable. Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon.

No comments: