Monday, October 13, 2008

Things that occurred to me over the weekend...

Things that occurred to me over the weekend:

1) I was probably pregnant about this time last year. Though we never did exactly pinpoint when it all happened last year, it was somewhere in the first couple weeks of October, I guess. I still think it happened the weekend before I went to the doctor to see what was up...and that I hadn't been pregnant long enough by that Monday for the pregnancy test to come back positive. I think if I were pregnant any longer, though, it would have shown up. So yeah, funny to think that all of this started a year ago, and I didn't even know it. And I wouldn't know it for another month!

2) I have moved into a new phase of parenthood where I actually have some experience. I can talk to more experienced parents with some degree of knowledge, and might actually have some wisdom to impart to more recent members of the parent club. Yesterday I saw a new mom at church putting formula into a bottle from a baggie. I have my handy dandy sectioned formula dispenser that works pretty well. It has three sections that you can premeasure powder into, then just dump into the bottle. Seemed a lot easier than a baggie, and it was only a few bucks. I would have mentioned it to that couple if I would have had the chance (they skipped out early). Then last night at Wal-Mart the clerk asked me how old Jacob was. He said that he's got one that's five weeks, and I groaned a bit thinking back to the sleep deprivation. We chatted about that for a few seconds, and it felt funny to be past that part of this whole experience, but it was pretty cool.

3) I said it in yesterday's post, but I'll repeat it again...there is nothing better than having your baby look at you like you're the coolest and most entertaining person ever. When Jacob flashes me the biggest smile for no apparent reason, it automatically makes me smile back. I can't even describe it. He just completely cracks me up.

4) I sort of knew this already but I confirmed it pretty soundly this weekend--this frog toy that Jacob has on his carrier makes him stop crying. When he's screaming in the back of the car and there's nothing I can do about it, I reach back and try to make the frog toy ribbit...and sure enough, it makes Jacob stop crying...at least momentarily. That thing is magic.

I'm sure there's more, because weekends with Jacob tend to be pretty thought-provoking, but that's all I can muster for now. Happy Monday!

No comments: