Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Baby Shopping

Over the weekend I went back to NT to hang out with my parents. They hadn't seen me in a while (mid-January, I think), so I wanted to take advantage of Craig's road trip and spend some time with them. They hadn't seen my belly since it officially started looking pregnant, and before I posted a photo on here (I swear, soon), I figured they're special enough to see it in person. It was a nice weekend, busy but not crazy.

We spent a chunk of the day Saturday at the Galleria Mall, but that was mostly for walking. We did take a couple detours through maternity clothes and baby sections, but none were particularly long. The maternity shopping made my dad uncomfortable, and the baby stuff was mostly just to oooh and ahhh over how cute the baby Easter dresses are these days, and to double check the crib sets. I was still stuck on the Snoopy & Family stuff (getting taken care of as we speak), but due to the price and just trying to make sure before making any firm decisions, we were looking at sets anywhere we could.

I did try to find some additional maternity clothes, but they're getting harder to find, unless I'm up for short sleeves...and considering the weather every day around here except, well, yesterday, I'm not ready for that yet. So...winter clearance is clearing out and I'm running out of options...just when I need a couple more because what was left of my regular wardrobe is getting less and less comfortable. I guess people at work will just have to get used to seeing me wear the same stuff every week or two. I'm pretty happy with what I have, though. Just a couple more pieces would be great...

On Sunday my mom and I headed off to Burlington and Babies 'R' Us. I don't know if we had a real plan, other than to (again) double check the crib sets, but it turned into quite the scouting session. Craig is off this weekend for the first time in a while and the last time until May, so we're planning on getting our registry up and running. It's a good thing my mom and I went out, because it reminded me that we will have a million decisions to make on things we're totally clueless about. I do have a WONDERFUL list from my cousin's wife and her good friend, about what they used, what they didn't, how many they needed, etc., which I need to go through again and use it to create a shopping list...but even still...there is so much to think about. Even my mom, who raised two children and knows how it all works, was relieved that she's not the one having to register. Apparently it takes a lot more to raise a baby in 2008 than it did 30-some years ago. Obviously not all of it is necessary, but it's tough to draw the line between useful modern convenience and overkill.

All of the "little stuff" scares me a bit--bottles, pacifiers (still not sure if I want to use them), medical/hygiene type stuff...Burlington literally has a wall of it all, and it's really intimidating. I don't think we went into that area at Babies 'R' Us, though I'm sure it will freak me out this weekend. Fortunately most of that is cheap stuff, so if we screw up registering it's not a big deal. It's the big stuff that freaks me out more. How do you pick a good stroller/carrier/car seat or high chair? Should we go with a bouncer, swing, or one that does both? Some play music, some vibrate, some do both...what will the baby like more? Much ado has been made about Pack'N'Plays, but the bassinet weight limit is just 15 lbs (yeah, I know the play yard is more)! Should we register for an exer-saucer, or just wait for a holiday to come up when it's time for one? Is there any rhyme or reason to picking a crib mattress? Even furniture is a bit of a challenge, though I think I'm pretty settled on that, as long as Craig is ok with it. It's just crazy how much it all costs. Fortunately, my tastes actually lined up pretty well with one of the lowest-priced sets.

All of it is just intimidating. The last time I went to Babies 'R' Us before I knew I was pregnant, I practically had a panic attack thinking about it all...and I was just shopping for someone else! Now that it's actually my turn to shop for me, I can see that my first response wasn't far off...Saturday's going to be a scary day! Yikes!

1 comment:

Uncle Jeff said...

Boy, I think this blog is way too girly for me...... The big question is.... How is Craig doing???? Ah yes, the real important piece of the baby-making equation (Craig) is so oft neglected..... Is anyone buying him new clothes.... What about those unbearable sympathetic pains he's going to be feeling... and that unbearable weight gain he is going to experience when he has too sit around for those first few months....

Yes, the child birth process is almost as bad as my sprained ankle back in the late 70's, but it is doable.. I made it though that ankle rehab.....
And what about that $10 bill that Craig will have reserved for the 12 pack of beer, only to have it commandeered to Wegman's for...... formula... Yeechhh...

I'm there for ya Craig...
Jeffrey

P.S.... let's get some testosterone in the column...